Atop Hawk Mountain, Pa., 2010

Atop Hawk Mountain, Pa., 2010
Photo by R.E. Berg-Andersson

Monday, June 10, 2024

A Not-So-Quiet Time in the Yard

Now that it is June there is very little birdsong at dawn. Birds have already set their territories and picked a mate. It is the time to build a nest, lay some eggs and wait for the eggs to hatch. Then the brooding and feeding begins.

The house wrens using the box I hung in the dogwood tree are busy feeding their young. It has been interesting to watch from my enclosed porch. Both Mom and Dad fly to the box with an insect in their bills but feed the young differently. Dad stays outside the box and feeds whichever chick has pushed its way to the opening, then he flies off for more food. Mom more often goes inside the box, perhaps to feed a chick (she also removes poop to keep the box clean). 

Papa Wren on the feeder pole (right) within sight of the nest.
(Margo D. Beller)

Now that I have stopped hanging feeders for the summer Dad uses the poles to watch the nest or to survey the yard below to grab an insect for his young, He frequently sings his song softly as if to let his mate and their chicks know he is on the case.

There are times Mom comes to the box and sits inside for a long time, which makes me wonder if there are only two chicks, which would be a smaller than usual brood. If there were three growing chicks they would take up a lot more room. Or maybe Mom is just taking a break. I can only guess from where I'm sitting.

Wrens are not the only birds feeding young, of course. While the chicks are small the parents are flying around seeking food. I don't go looking for nests but when a female bird zips to a spot and disappears, such as the female Baltimore oriole that flew past my binoculars as I looked at her mate, the nest becomes obvious. In this case she disappeared into a pouch nest hanging over the road, practically over my head. The pouch hung among the leaves on a thin branch and would be invisible to someone just walking along.

They look so small and cute, until they get behind
your deer fencing. (From 2019; Margo D. Beller)

Which is the intent. Life is dangerous for birds at all times anyway. For baby birds it is even more dire because there are many predators - avian and mammalian - that eat them. Once the young are encouraged by their parents to leave the nest they follow the adults and loudly beg for food. That makes them more obvious and that much more vulnerable.

The wrens in my yard are using a structure I put up for them, but house wrens get their name because they will build a nest in just about anything including places where you wouldn't expect a wren would want to nest, such as a flower pot.

They take advantage of human structures. So, I learned once again, do the deer.

The fawn was hiding behind this cage. It had
protection on three sides and an overhang to keep
it dry from the rain. Unfortunately, I opened the front door, 
blocking the escape route. (Margo D. Beller)

At this time of year the does that gave birth in late May are also caring for young. I have detailed in the past the times I have found fawns on my front or back lawns where they were placed by their mothers to keep them away from predators. I've found fawns in some strange places, usually in my back yard, but in recent years I hadn't seen any.

Until this week.

A couple of afternoons ago we had a heavy rain that lasted all of two minutes. But because it was heavy I went outside to check on my plants. No problems in the back, where years ago I put an old hose into an opening to block any doe from thinking about putting a fawn behind the yew plants, as one did the previous year.

How I think I solved the problem of deer getting
behind the back plot in 2021. So far it
has worked. (Margo D. Beller)

I opened my front door and the storm door. That's when I saw the spotted fawn that was curled up behind the cage where I put annuals to protect them from chipmunk digging and deer snacking. 

Before I could go back inside the fawn jumped up and pushed itself behind the deer fencing. Then it ran away from me. It could not escape - remember, this netting was put up to keep deer out - and bleated for its mother. The rain started again and I ran inside for my coat. The fawn continued pushing against the netting.

Some of the plants and their supports that got upended when the 
fawn tried to get away. The lilies later bloomed just fine.
(Margo D. Beller)

It kept moving and calling for its mother as I ran to the other end of the fence to pull up some of the posts so it could escape. However, it found its own way out, pushing up the garden staples securing the netting to the ground. It ran to my yew hedge, heaving in fear. Then it took off down the yard before turning and running at full deer speed behind a house across the street, no doubt to where its waiting mother called to it. 

I set about repairing the damage - which was minimal, thankfully - and reset the fence posts and garden staples, thanking the fawn for inadvertently showing me weaknesses that it would, as an adult, use to destroy some of the very plants it rushed by, such as the Stargazer lilies and the Shasta daisies. I banged more poles into the area where the deer got in and later blocked the area where the fawn had curled up with a large pot.

As I worked one of the house wrens scolded me from nearby.  "Oh go take care of your nest and let me take care of mine," I told it.

1 comment: